District Guidelines for School Attendance for Health Reasons
Brea Olinda Unified School District
Guidelines for School Attendance for Health Reasons
The following guidelines are to be followed for school attendance:
- Children too ill to participate in normal school activities should be excluded from school attendance whether or not the child has a fever.
- Children with a temperature greater than 100° orally will be excluded until the temperature is normal for 24 hours without the use of an anti-pyretic.
- Elevated temperatures of 100° or above should be repeated after the child has rested quietly for 20 minutes in a room with comfortable temperature.
- Children with vomiting will be excluded until vomiting has stopped for 24 hours. A child with persisted diarrhea should be seen by a physician.
- Children with upper respiratory problems and without fever may attend school at the discretion of the principal and/or school nurse.
- Children receiving antibiotic therapy who are without fever and otherwise well may attend school.
- Children with a known or suspected contagious illness will be excluded until non infectious or until released by a physician.
- Children with a rash of undetermined origin will be excluded until the rash is gone or until released by a physician.
- Children who have undergone a medical procedure requiring general anesthesia are to stay at home for a minimum of 24 hours after anesthesia.
- Final decisions and exceptions regarding school attendance for health reasons will be at the discretion of the principal and/or school nurse.
Natalie Deporto MSN BOUSD District Nurse
(714) 990-7850 ext 1231 Fax (714) 990-7890
Updated: Sept. 2015
School Starts at 8:45
First Bell Rings at 8:42
Students need to be in class by 8:45
Students who attend school regularly learn more and are more successful in school than students who do not. Parents who make regular school attendance a priority also are helping their children learn to accept responsibility. Unless your child is sick, please set an expectation with your child that he/she needs to go to school.
Please report all absences to the school office at: 714-529-9737.